Victim Assistance Information


Victim Advocacy Unit

For many persons, being a victim or witness to a crime is their first experience with the criminal justice system. A Victim Advocate is available 24 hours a day to assist victims with the emotional, physical, and financial trauma often resulting from a crime. You may contact a Victim Advocate to provide:

Crisis Information Counseling * Personal Advocacy

Community Information Referrals * Emotional Support

Coordination with Police Officers * Court Accompaniment

Follow Up Counseling * Assistance with Property Return

Assistance in Filing an Injunction for Protection

Locating Transportation and Accessible Parking

Attempt to Locate Translators as Needed


Could I be eligible for Victim Compensation?

In some cases, the victims or relatives of a deceased victim may be eligible for financial compensation from the State of Florida. Those determined eligible by the Office of the Attorney General may receive assistance with medical/dental expenses, burial expenses, lost wages, relocation money for domestic violence victims, and mental heath counseling. For further information, please call the Office of the Attorney General at 1-800-226-6667


What happens if my case involves a juvenile?

A juvenile arrested and charged with a misdemeanor or non-violent felony may be released immediately into the custody of the parent(s) or legal guardian. Juveniles charged with more serious crimes may go to a pre-detention hearing within 24 hours to set the conditions of release. You have a right to appear at these hearings. You may contact Alachua County Juvenile Detention Center at (352) 955-2105